From the 9th to the 11th. century, Altfinstermünz was the location of the court for the region Lower Engadine, Nauders and Pfunds In 1078 Duke Welf left an occupying force there during the war against the Bishops of Chur in the “Clusa” (the narrows of Altfinstermünz). In 1159, Altfinstermünz was mentioned in the official records for the first time. Records show taxes and tolls were levied in 1300. The first defensive structures were built from 1472, for example the bridge tower on the river Inn and the Siegmundseck. to protect against attacks from Engadine in 1499 it was a major bulwark in the Engadine Wars. The mighty tower was erected from 1502 to 1537, and access was protected with machicolations and weir gates. The new chapel to the Ascension of the Virgin Mary was built and consecrated in 1605 From 1652, Finstermünz was the border between Tirol and Graubünden.
The customs office was relocated to Martinsbruck in 1779, and Finstermünz came into private hands. It became an inn and a brewery. The “mountain peace” then returned to the court in Nauders. in 1799, heavy fighting in the Coalition Wars took place (Pfunds riflemen took 300 prisoners).
From 1856, Finstermünz (from then know as Altfinstermünz) lost importance due to the completion of the new road from the Kajetan bridge to Nauders, and it was only used as an agricultural site. A new bridge was built around 1875. in 1948/49 there was another restoration of the bridge by the Memorials Office, and the bridge was awarded official protection status.
Altfinstermünz can be reached from various directions, one road goes from Unterengadin to the Upper Court, a second - the Via Claudia Augusta - led to Altfinstermünz even in Roman times.
Entry is free with the Summer Card GOLD and the 3 country Summer Card GOLD, there is a reduction with the Summer Card.